Wednesday 15 February 2017

Tesco says "The Fun Starts with your Vouchers" - Not!!!


Going shopping?  You don't need vouchers! Photo: Janet Cameron

I hate vouchers.

These are the things I really hate about vouchers:

  • They're fiddly and time-consuming but you feel guilty if you waste them.
  • They're complicated. Some are for money off once, some are for money off on two separate occasions, some are for points, some can be doubled up if you go to Reception or something.
  • You need to know when you're going shopping. I never do. I just think, Oh, I'll think I'll just pop into Tesco's. And, of course, when I do that, I don't have my vouchers.
  • You need to keep an eye on the dates. You might think of buying something that you would normally consider a bit expensive, but a pound off makes all the difference. Then you get to the till and find your voucher expired yesterday.
  • They're long-winded at the till.  You have wait, clicking your heels, while the person in front of you expresses alternately happiness or dismay, as to whether their vouchers are the right date or not, and the correct product, or not. It's easy to make a mistake unless you have all day twiddling your thumbs. Then the person behind you waits groaning and tapping their foot while you have your turn. It's worse than waiting for people to buy their lottery tickets in the Co-op.
  • Some are "two for one." Or "Buy One Get One Free."   I hate "two for one." I'm single, I don't want the same thing every day just to use something up. And I don't to waste stuff. I'd rather just have one at a fair price. Besides, the word "Free" should not be conditional on you buying something.
  • And lastly, you get so fed up with carrying the wretched things around, you might even be tempted to buy something you don't need. Which is exactly what the supermarket wants you to do!

Of course the straight £2 or £3 off your shopping bill voucher is fine. It's all the rest. Sometimes I just throw them away then I feel guilty when I shop, thinking how much money I'm wasting. Or I go to Iceland where you don't need money off cos it's all so cheap.  So why don't I go to Iceland all the time?  Well, in spite of all the above, Tesco's is, somehow, more inviting.

So from time to time, out of frustration, I give Morrisons, or Asda or Lidl a try. I quite like Morrisons except I've had about three bunches of flowers that haven't managed to open. (Never a problem with Tesco, who must have a superior supplier.)

So, a supermarket that's cheap, with no vouchers, beautiful flowers that do what it says on the tin, and friendly staff.  Doesn't seem a lot to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment